Milagro Stuffed PeppersFrom moxie2burn 7 years ago
- 4-6 large bell peppers, prepped for stuffing shopping list
- 1 tablespoon butter shopping list
- 1/2 c bell pepper, chopped fine (use the pepper tops) shopping list
- 1/2 cup minced onion shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 teaspoon cayenne or chipotle pepper shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- 1 1/4 lbs lean ground beef shopping list
- 3/4 lb ground pork shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups dry breadcrumbs shopping list
- 1/3 cup tomato-based barbecue sauce shopping list
- 3 tablespoons sour cream shopping list
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce shopping list
- 1 egg, beaten shopping list
- milk, as needed shopping list
- additional barbecue sauce (optional) shopping list
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Melt butter in a heavy skillet. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic and saute until they are softened. Stir in the black pepper, cayenne, salt, and cumin, and saute 2 or 3 minutes more. Place the vegetables in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients (except milk) and mix well with your hands. The mixture should feel quite moist but not soupy. If it is too dry, add milk, a tablespoons at a time until consistency is right.
- Spoon uncooked meat mixture into the peppers. Place peppers in a greased baking dish with a 1/4 cup of beef stock or water in the bottom. Bake 40 minutes at 350, then 10 minutes more at 400. Baste with pan juices, then BBQ sauce in the last few minutes and top with a sprinkling of shredded cheese; return to oven to melt cheese.
- *this can also be made just as a meatloaf. Omit the pepper "shells" and simply mound the meat into a 9x5 loaf pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350ºF for 40 minutes. Raise oven temperature to 400ºF and bake another 20 to 30 minutes. If you wish, brush with barbecue sauce the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- *the juices at the bottom of the pan are excellent over the peppers once they've been defatted.
The Cookmoxie2burn Matanuska-Susitna Valley, Alaska
The Rating3 people
- Not added to any groups yet!