Polenta Gratin With Mushroom BologneseFrom dond 5 years ago
- 2 Tbsp oil shopping list
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced shopping list
- 1 onion, peeled and diced shopping list
- 1 celery stalk, peeled and diced shopping list
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- ½ to ¾ lb wild mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed, and diced shopping list
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme shopping list
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced shopping list
- 1 cup brown chicken stock shopping list
- 1 cup polenta shopping list
- salt shopping list
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- Freshly grated parmigiano-Reggiano shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add carrot, onion, celery, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add the mushrooms and thyme leaves.
- Cook stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are almost tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomato and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Then add stock, 2 Tbsp at a time, bringing the pan back to a simmer before each subsequent addition.
- Simmer sauce until it is concentrated, but not yet dry, about 30 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Moisten the polenta with 2 Tbsp water, mixing well.
- Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat.
- Add a pinch of salt and gradually stir in polenta. Stir constantly, bring the polenta to a boil, and reduce heat to low.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until polenta is no longer grainy, about 30 minutes.
- Stir olive oil into polenta, season with salt, and remove from heat.
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- Spoon half the polenta into a medium baking dish and cover with half of the sauce. Cover with the remaining polenta, then sprinkle Parmigiano-Reggiano evenly over the top.
- Transfer remaining sauce to a small saucepan and reserve.
- Bake gratin until top is golden, about 40 minutes.
- Just before serving, warm the reserved sauce over low heat. Top each portion with some of the reserved sauce.
The Cookdond Rockville, MD
- Not added to any groups yet!