pad thaiFrom sufia 7 years ago
- 8 ounces medium-thick flat rice noodles (sometimes marketed as Pad Thai noodles) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon brown sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth shopping list
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon Southeast Asian fish sauce shopping list
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce shopping list
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar shopping list
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce shopping list
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil shopping list
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste shopping list
- 1/3 cup peanut oil shopping list
- 2 large eggs, beaten with a pinch of salt shopping list
- 12 ounces shitake mushrooms shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes shopping list
- kosher salt shopping list
- 1 cup cubed firm tofu (about 6 ounces) shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped shopping list
- 1 jalapeno, minced shopping list
- 5 scallions (white and green parts), 3 cut into 1/2-inch pieces, 2 chopped shopping list
- 1 package enoki mushrooms shopping list
- 1/3 cup salted roasted peanuts, chopped, plus additional for garnish shopping list
- For serving: lime wedges, Sriracha sauce (Thai hot chili sauce) shopping list
How to make it
- Put the noodles in a medium bowl with hot water to cover. Soak until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Whisk the brown sugar with the broth, fish sauc, soy sauce, rice vinegar, chili garlic sauce, sesame oil and tamarind paste in a small bowl.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat until hot and add 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil. Pour in the eggs, tilting the skillet as you pour to make a thin, even coating of egg. Cook until just set, about 45 seconds. Invert the eggs onto a cutting board and cut into 1/2-inch strips. Set aside.
- Add another tablespoon of the peanut oil to the same skillet and heat over high heat. Add the mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper flakes, and salt to taste. Stir-fry until the mushrooms are golden brown. Add another tablespoon of the peanut oil to the same skillet and heat over high heat. Add the tofu, 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper flakes, and salt, to taste. Stir-fry until the tofu is golden brown on all sides.
- Add the garlic, jalapeno, chopped scallion and remaining 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes and stir-fry until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Add the noodles and cook, tossing, until lightly coated with the garlic mixture, about 1 minute. Add the fish sauce mixture