Chicken Cacciatore - Diabetic FriendlyFrom spinach1948 6 years ago
- Ingredients: shopping list
- Eight 3oz chicken thighs with skin shopping list
- 1 tsp. olive oil shopping list
- 1 cup chopped onion shopping list
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves minced shopping list
- 1 ½ cups chopped canned tomatoes, with juice shopping list
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth shopping list
- 2 Tbs. No-salt-added tomato past shopping list
- ½ tsp. Dried oregano shopping list
- ½ tsp. Dried thyme shopping list
- ¼ tsp. salt shopping list
- ¼ tsp. Freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 3 Tbs. Minced fresh basil shopping list
How to make it
- 1 Place the chicken skin side down in a large skillet and turn the heat to medium-low. When the chicken has rendered some fat, increase the heat to medium-high and brown on both sides, about 12 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate. When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove and discard the skin.
- 2 Pour off all the fat from the skillet and wipe clean with paper towels. Add olive oil and warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and cook over medium heat until softened, about 3 minutes.
- 3 Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are softened, about 3 minutes.
- 4 Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, tomato past, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper to the skillet along with the reserved chicken. Bring the liquid to a boil and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is tender and cooked through 20 to 25 minutes. Stir in the basil.
- 5 Serve the chicken topped with one-forth of the sauce.
- Serves 4
- Serving size: 2 thighs plus sauce
- Nutritional Values: Calories per serving: 246, Fat: 10g, Cholesterol: 81mg, Sodium: 372mg, Protein: 25g
- NOTE:This is modified from the triditional recipe.
People Who Like This Dish 10
The Cookspinach1948 Dorchester-Boston, MA
- Not added to any groups yet!