pan de coco or coconut rollsFrom peetabear 5 years ago
- 1/2 cup unsweetened finely grated coconut shopping list
- 2 tablespoons sugar shopping list
- 1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast shopping list
- 1/2 cup warm water shopping list
- 3 1/2 cups flour shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 cup coconut milk shopping list
- 3 tablespoons butter or non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening, melted shopping list
How to make it
- Put coconut, sugar, yeast and water into a small non-reactive bowl and stir briefly. Set aside until mixture is swollen and bubbly, about 15 minutes.
- Mix flour and salt together in a large bowl. Add yeast mixture, coconut milk and butter. Using your hands or a wooden spoon, stir until well combined.
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and knead, dusting with more flour as necessary, until soft and elastic, 5 to 6 minutes. Form dough into a ball, dust generously all over with flour and transfer to a clean large bowl. Cover bowl with a kitchen towel and set aside in a warm spot to let rise until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces and roll each into a ball. Arrange balls of dough on a large greased baking sheet, spacing them 3 to 4 inches apart. Set aside in a warm spot, uncovered, to let rise until doubled in size again, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake bread until deep golden brown and cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm or set aside to let cool to room temperature.