Lubys Coconut Meringue PieFrom midgelet 7 years ago
- 5 C. half-and-half shopping list
- 1/4 C. (1/2 stick) butter shopping list
- 1 C. sugar shopping list
- 3 extra-large eggs shopping list
- 1/4 C. cornstarch shopping list
- 1 tsp. vanilla shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1 C. miniature marshmallows shopping list
- 1 1/4 C. flaked coconut shopping list
- 2 baked 9-inch pie shells shopping list
- Meringue: shopping list
- 1 1/4 C. egg whites (from 8 to 9 extra-large eggs) shopping list
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar shopping list
- 1 1/2 C. sugar shopping list
How to make it
- For filling combine half-and-half and butter in saucepan.
- Bring just to boil over medium heat.
- In medium bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, cornstarch, vanilla and salt until cornstarch is completely dissolved and mixture is well-blended.
- Gradually add to mixture in saucepan, stirring constantly with wire whisk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute or until thickened.
- Add marshmallows and 3/4 cup of the coconut.
- Cook and stir until marshmallows melt and mixture is well-blended.
- Pour into pie shells.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- For meringue, in large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar, a small amount at a time, beating constantly until stiff peaks form.
- Spread half the meringue over each pie to edge of crust.
- Sprinkle each with 1/4 cup of the remaining coconut on each pie.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Refrigerate until served.
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating3 people
Sweet Tooth446 members
Sweet Suite159 members
Dairy Preparations8 members
Going Coconuts71 members
Feeding A Crowd39 members
Pies Pies Everywhere Is Pies45 members
Desserts Desserts Everywhere50 members
All Things Vegetarian65 members
Restaurant Recipes68 members