West African Black Eyed PeasFrom ladyarp 7 years ago
- 1 cup black-eyed peas, soaked in cold water for 8 hrs. and drained shopping list
- 1 med. red onion, sliced shopping list
- 1 Scotch bonnet chili, seeded and ribs removed, finely chopped shopping list
- One 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 1/4 cup spiced butter (look at my spiced butter recipe) or 4 tbsp. unsalted butter. shopping list
- 2 tomatoes, chopped shopping list
- 2 galic cloves, chopped shopping list
- 1 cup coconut milk shopping list
- 1 tsp. ground tumeric shopping list
- 1 cup chicken stock shopping list
- 1 tsp. salt shopping list
- 2 tsp. Berber (look at my Berbere recipe) or chili powder shopping list
- 1 tsp.salt shopping list
- 1 scallion, trimmed and sliced shopping list
- 2 cilantro sprigs, chopped shopping list
How to make it
- In a lrg. saucepan combine 4 cups of water and peas, simmer uncovered for about 45 min. or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a deep pot, over med. heat, melt butter. Add the tomatoes, onion, and chili and saute for about 10 min. or until onions are translucent. Add ginger, garlic, coconut milk, berbere and bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for about 20 min. until sauce thickens.
- Add peas and salt, simmer about 20 min. until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in scallion and cilantro, and serve.