Tuna Noodle CasseroleFrom darbar 8 years ago
- bread Crumb Topping Ingredients: shopping list
- 1 cup fresh panko bread crumbs shopping list
- 1 pinch salt shopping list
- 1½ tablespoons unsalted butter, melted shopping list
- pasta Ingredients: shopping list
- 6 tablespoons (¾ stick) unsalted butter, plus more for the baking dish shopping list
- salt shopping list
- 12 ounces dried fettuccine, noodles broken into thirds shopping list
- 10 ounces mushrooms, stemmed, caps wiped clean, and sliced ¼ inch thick shopping list
- 2 medium onions, minced shopping list
- ground black pepper shopping list
- ¼ cup unbleached all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth shopping list
- ¾ cup whole milk shopping list
- 1 tablespoon juice from one lemon shopping list
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley leaves shopping list
- 1½ tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves shopping list
- 2 cans (6-oz) water-packed solid white tuna, drained and flaked into pieces shopping list
- 1½ cups frozen peas, thawed shopping list
How to make it
- For the topping:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°. Mix the bread crumbs, salt, and butter in a small baking dish; bake until golden brown and crisp, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool to room temperature and transfer to a bowl.
- For the pasta:
- Increase the oven temperature to 450° degrees. Butter a shallow casserole or 13x9 baking dish. Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Add 1 tablespoon salt and the pasta to the boiling water and stir to separate the noodles. Cook until al dente. Reserve ¼ cup of the pasta cooking water, drain the pasta, and return it to the pot with the reserved liquid.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat until the foaming subsides. Add the mushrooms and onions, season with salt and pepper to taste, and sauté, stirring frequently, until the onions soften and the mushroom liquid evaporates, 7 to 10 minutes. Check the seasonings, transfer to a medium bowl, and set aside.
- Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons butter in a clean skillet over medium heat. When the foam subsides, whisk in flour and cook, whisking constantly, until the flour turns golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisking constantly, gradually add the chicken broth and milk. Raise the heat to medium-high and cook until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Off the heat, whisk in ½ teaspoon salt, the lemon juice, parsley, and thyme.
- Add the sauce, mushroom mixture, tuna, and peas to the pasta and mix well. Adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Turn the mixture into the buttered baking dish, sprinkle evenly with the reserved bread crumbs, and bake until the crumbs brown and the mixture is bubbly, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately.