Chicken Cal-Thai Lettuce CupsFrom eloise123 5 years ago
- 1 head iceberg lettuce shopping list
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh ground (not packaged!) chicken shopping list
- toasted sesame oil, 5T or more shopping list
- red pepper flakes, about 3/4 T shopping list
- coarse-ground black pepper, about 1 T shopping list
- sea salt to taste shopping list
- Tabasco sauce (only!), about 1 t shopping list
- small handful of fresh cilantro leaves, chopped shopping list
- green apple, very tart, 1/2 large or 3/4 small, diced shopping list
- low salt soy sauce, 1-2T shopping list
How to make it
- Heat a large skillet to med-high, add oil
- add chicken, sear slightly, then turn down to med. heat
- add red pepper flakes, black pepper, salt and soy
- add more oil if chicken is sticking--don't let the chicken brown, it should remain pale (no pink!) and crumbly
- turn to low heat and simmer 10--15 minutes-do not overcook!
- turn off heat, add Tabasco and stir
- add cilantro and cold green apple
- transfer to a serving bowl
- tear lettuce leaves into roughly 8" "rounds" and serve on a separate platter
- to serve: spoon chicken mixture evenly along the center of lettuce cups, fold leaves inward to make tubes--and eat!
- makes enough for 2 or 3 as a main, will serve 6 as appetizers.