Barbacoa de PolloFrom darmorrow 4 years ago
- 6 each chiles anchos and guajillos. shopping list
- 1 1-4 cup water shopping list
- 1-2 cup white vinegar shopping list
- 6 whole cloves, crushed shopping list
- 8 whole allspice, crushed shopping list
- 1-4 tsp cumin seeds, crushed shopping list
- 2 peppercorns, crushed shopping list
- 1 1inch piece of cinnamon stick broken up shopping list
- 2 tsp of sea salt or to taste (I used 1 tsp and that was plenty) shopping list
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled shopping list
- 2 tsp dried Mexican oregano shopping list
- 1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil, lard or chicken fat shopping list
- 1 large chicken whole or cut into pieces (5 pounds) shopping list
- 2 sprays of avocado leaves (optional) shopping list
- 2 banana leaves or enough to wrap the chicken pieces (optional) shopping list
- The Topping shopping list
- 1 large avocado, peeling and cut into strips shopping list
- 8 thinly sliced agria or lime slices shopping list
- finely shredded lettuce shopping list
- finely sliced white onion shopping list
- salsa verde, cruda shopping list
How to make it
- Slit the dried chilies and open. Scrape out the seeds and veins. Toast lightly on hot grill. Cover the chiles with hot water and bring to simmer for 5 minutes. Leave in the hot water at least 10 minutes.
- Put 1/2 cup of the water into a blender jar and add the spices, salt, oregano and garlic; blend until smooth. Add the rest of the water, the vinegar and a few of the chles anchos and blend until smooth. Add the chiles little by little and blend after each addition. Blend the chile guajillos separately and add through strainers.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, add the sauce and fry over medium heat , stirring from time to time to prevent sticking, for about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- When the paste is cool, it may still be rather loose. Don't worry. It will thicken on standing. Spread all over whole chicken or pieces and set aside 24 hours. If using a whole chicken, prick it all over with a fork. Cook by one of the following methods:
- Grilling: Make sure the chicken is thickly and evenly coated with the chile paste on all sides. Place over the grill and grill slowly, turning from time to time for at least 30 minutes.
- Baking: Heat oven to 359 degrees. Prepare and wrap pieces of chicken with the avocado or banana leaves. Lightly singe the leaves over a bare flame or hot plate and put under and on top of the chicken. Wrap the leaves and place in single layer in casserole dish. Add 1/2 cup of water in the bottom. Cover with lid and bake for 30min. Increae heat to 375, turn packages over and cook uncovered for 20-30 minutes. I had to cook for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- To serve:
- If grilling, cover the chicken lavishly with the toppings. IF baked and covered with leaves, open up the packages and cover meat with toppings. alternatively pass toppings to diners to serve themselves.
The Cookdarmorrow North Vancouver, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!