Asian Salmon Burgers with Pickled Cucumber on PumpernickelFrom darbar 7 years ago
- 1 large cucumber (about 1 pound) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes shopping list
- 1 large egg white shopping list
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon grated peeled fresh gingerroot shopping list
- a 3/4-pound piece salmon fillet, skin discarded and fish cut into shopping list
- 1/4-inch pieces shopping list
- 1/2 cup fine fresh bread crumbs shopping list
- 2 scallions, chopped fine shopping list
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil shopping list
- 4 small green-leaf lettuce leaves shopping list
- 8 slices firm pumpernickel (about 10 ounces) shopping list
How to make it
- With a Japanese rotary slicer (see note this page) cut cucumber into 1 long spiral. (Alternatively, with a sharp knife cut cucumber into very thin slices.) In a bowl toss cucumber with vinegar, sugar, red pepper flakes, and salt to taste.
- In another bowl whisk together egg white, soy sauce, and gingerroot until combined well and stir in salmon, bread crumbs, scallions, mustard seeds, and salt to taste. In a food processor purée 1/3 cup salmon mixture and return to salmon mixture remaining in bowl. (Alternatively, chop 1/3 cup salmon mixture fine and mash to a paste with flat side of a knife.) Stir mixture to combine and form into four 3/4-inch-thick patties. Drain cucumber well.
- In a large non-stick skillet heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and cook patties until golden, about 2 minutes on each side. Cook patties, covered, over moderate heat until just cooked through, about 5 minutes more. Arrange lettuce leaves on 4 pumpernickel slices and top with salmon burgers, pickled cucumber, and remaining 4 pumpernickel slices.