Zucchini Rice CasseroleFrom fluffy24 7 years ago
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain brown rice shopping list
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth shopping list
- 4 cups diced zucchini and/or summer squash (about 1 pound) shopping list
- 2 red or green bell peppers, chopped shopping list
- 1 large onion, diced shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat milk shopping list
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 cups shredded pepper Jack cheese, divided shopping list
- 1 cup fresh or frozen (thawed) corn kernels shopping list
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 8 ounces chicken or turkey sausage, casings removed shopping list
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel) shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped pickled jalapeños shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375°F.\Pour rice into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Bring broth to a simmer in a small saucepan. Stir hot broth into the rice along with zucchini (and/or squash), bell peppers, onion and salt. Cover with foil. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, 35 to 45 minutes more.\ Meanwhile, whisk milk and flour in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until bubbling and thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add 1 1/2 cups Jack cheese and corn and cook, stirring, until the cheese is melted. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add sausage. Cook, stirring and breaking the sausage into small pieces with a spoon, until lightly browned and no longer pink, about 4 minutes.5. When the rice is done, stir in the sausage and cheese sauce. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup Jack cheese on top and dollop cream cheese by the teaspoonful over the casserole. Top with jalapeños.
- Return the casserole to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
The Cookfluffy24 Cranston, RI
The Rating3 people
- Not added to any groups yet!