Downton - Season 3 - possible spoilers

• frankieanne 11 years ago
    I am pasting Chuckie's question from the other thread:
    Show of hands who agreed with Sir Anthony's decision at the altar?
    I cried so when he left Edith! I really felt for her. Of course, I don't know what is in store for her but I thought she really wanted to be married to him. It seems he had a house that needed looking after. I don't know why Robert was so upset that he was older than Edith when he married someone who had a fortune that he has used to keep his place running. It seemed to me that Edith would have wanted to make a go of it.
    What do the rest of you think?
    Flag
  • NPMarie 11 years ago said:
    It's Edith's & Sir Anthony's decision, and I thought he made the wrong one..she loved him..he loved her...isn't that all that really matters???
    Flag
  • chuckieb 11 years ago said:
    I thought Edith made a wise choice to 'court' Sir Anthony based on the fact that most of the young men had gone off or been killed in the war. I was rooting for Sir Anthony to give himself a second chance of happiness and was really disappointed he bailed at the wedding itself. Weak! :)
    Flag
    And as far as why the Earl was so upset with the wedding....well....he is quite well known for not having the best judgement in a whole lot of areas yes? LOL!
    Flag
  • frankieanne 11 years ago said:
    You know, he really doesn't have the best of judgement, does he. I think the only thing he's really been "right" about was Bates.
    Flag
    Ok ladies, remember the last Downton is tonight, set your DVR's!!! I was telling Frankieanne Masterpiece will be showing some other good programs after DA..I'll look for the link for their schedule for all of you..
    Flag
    Here u go:)
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/schedule/
    Flag
    Who watched the last episode?? i know Joce has! I haven't yet, but the day is young:)
    Flag
    Nope I haven't watched the last couple yet. By accident hit a link today that explained why the actor who played Matthew Crawley left the show and that led to the knowledge of some things I hadn't known about. No matter. I'd watch the show in any order truly. :)
    Flag
    Me too:) I have actually saved the last few.so I can watch them again:) Wonder which episode Frankieanne is on...be nice when everyone has watched all the episodes so we can chat about the series:)
    Flag
    I will watch part 8 tomorrow and the last one on Wednesday. :)
    Did you tape the last two weeks in case you didn't find it here in California, Chuckie? I saw it was another two hour one last night which explains why the DVD has 8 and 9. Are they replacing the Matthew actor with someone else?
    Flag
    I haven't seen or heard about a replacement..they might at least add a new character so Mary can fall in love again:) Still haven't watched the last episode..
    Flag
    I just don't see how they can write him off so quickly especially since they were wanting a baby.
    Flag
    I know! I still can't believe he left the show..what was he thinking?
    Flag
    I just finished the last episode..now I really can't wait until Season 4:) It was actually about 11/2 hours long, the remaining 30 minutes or so the local PBS station was trying to sell DVD's of season 3 for $120 or season 1,2 & 3 for $240. Anyway, I did enjoy watching this so very much...really does take you away to a different place & time...
    Flag
    Rats, clicked on an article on CNN about Downton and found out how Matthew leaves. Darn. Sometimes the internet is a huge pain in the arse.
    Flag
    It sure is..sorry :(
    Flag
    I don't get these actors who leave such a popular show. Here he is - previously unknown - and now a pivotal character in an immensely popular series - continent to continent. As many American were asking "Will Matthew and Mary get married?" as were asking "Who shot J.R.?" Well - maybe not - but I hope he saved some of the huge amounts of money he must have made. I don't know what he's thinking. Surely he doesn't think he will be the next James Bond or something.
    To quote Marie, "Blimey!"
    Flag
    I agree! Kindof pisses me off, we get to know his character, he finally found happiness, has a baby with the love of his life, then he's gone...
    Flag
    Yes, we taped all episodes of Downton at home while we've been gone and I did not manage to see them here so.....
    LOL Frankieanne at clicking on that article. :) And LOL at Matthew's character thinking he's the next James Bond. I DON'T THINK SO. He wasn't manly enough. :) LOL.
    Flag
    Well, after I found out that he was leaving for good, I found an interview with him online so I read it. He says all the usual stuff - I wanted to do something different, I only signed up for three years, I didn't know it would be so popular, I really miss everyone yada yada yada. He even says he feels "liberated." I can't stand when actors say stuff like that. You get this lovely thing dropped in your lap (I mean this isn't some fly by night, lousy production here!) and - wham! - you slap it aside. It kinda makes me wish he would fade into oblivion. I'm pissed off, too. Bloody hell.
    :)
    Yeah, I don't watch James Bond movies but I have seen pictures of the new guy although I don't know his name. He's kind of handsome, in a non-handsome kind of way.
    Flag
    His name is Daniel Craig, and he's my OTHER boyfriend! LOL
    Flag
    LOL Frankieanne at wishing the actor that plays Matthew Crawley will now fade into oblivion. LOL.
    No Marie, Daniel Craig isn't your other boyfriend, cuz he's MINE. :) ROFL.
    Flag
    OK, well at least Alan Rickman is MY boyfriend..Frankieanne and I are fighting over him..LOL!!!!
    Flag
    LOL. Had to google him but now I know who you mean. Deal. :)
    Flag
    haha You two are funny. :-D
    Isn't that Daniel Craig married to "someone"? Not that you two can't claim him for yourselves. :)
    The other rotten thing about Dan Stevens leaving DA is that now there are two babies missing a parent! :-(
    I do have to say I am still anxious to watch. Wondering what the fall out will be, if any, for Thomas due to his indiscretion. Thanks to O'Brien. :)
    Flag
    I know Frankieanne..you don't think Mary & Tom will get together? Nah..they are so very different..couldn't happen...Doesn't O'Brien have a mean streak or what!!
    He's (Daniel Craig) Janet's boyfriend now:) I could care less if he's married..ROTFLOL :D
    Flag
    Hhmmmm.....wonder what Thomas did. Can't help but pop in here and peek. I'm no good with surprises. :) There's no way Mary and Tom will get together. I don't think Mary would every marry a commoner I really don't.
    Flag
  • Good4U 11 years ago said:
    LOL My lips are still sealed:) Just you wait and see!
    Flag
    No, I don't think Mary and Tom will get together. That would be just way too icky. The aristocratic British aren't into icky. :)
    First time I was ever rooting for O'Brien. hehe
    Flag
    hehe....that's gotta be good then for sure....:)
    Flag
    So you can be sure I'm getting in some special PVR time with Downton this weekend. Our plane was stuck an extra hour on the tarmac in Toronto yesterday but I was pleased to find not only one, but two Downton episodes on the entertainment system from Season 2 that I had missed. I'd never seen the one where Bates and Anna had got married or when Lavinia had died. How's that for watching things out of sequence eh? :)
    Flag
    Okay....so we didn't get through all of the episodes but I did get to see what O'Brien did to Thomas. The two of them are a piece of work that's for sure. Was truly hoping to see Thomas out of there simply because he's such an evil fellow, but on the other hand it was quite shocking to hear how homosexuality was viewed back in that time. Again, don't think the Earl made the best decision to keep Thomas on......seemed to be purely for the Cricket match? And poor Bates. After doing the 'decent' thing, and then it backfires and he has to continue to work alongside Thomas.
    And what about Edith's Editor in London? He looks just like a younger version of the guy who left her at the altar? And you'll already know this, but I really hope that Branson doesn't get mixed up with the new maid. :(
    Flag
    I still have the last hour to go as I took a week off of the bike. I'll finish up this week.
    I've always thought that (in the real world) that Thomas would have been sacked a long time ago. The Earl certainly is blind about a lot of things but O'Brien seems to have Cora wrapped around her finger. She certainly has her ear! But - then - its a soap. :)
    Looks like Edith and The Editor have hit it off, hmmmm? :)
    I liked the idea of having Tom be the new agent. I was hoping that would happen. For once the Earl got one right!
    Flag
    Whoops, I meant in my previous post I still had the last episodes to go! Now, as of today, I have one hour left. The cricket match just got over.
    Poor Edith - that gal can't catch a break. And anyone know what kind of small operation would enable a woman to have a child? Or would that be a "too much information" kind of thing and get us banned from the site. :-P I didn't know there were operations for that sort of problem.
    I thought O'Brien was gonna toss her cookies when Bates whispered in her ear. :)
    I'm not certain what the introduction of cousin Rose was for. Maybe I'll found out tonight when I watch the finale.
    Flag
    Oh wow..you are almost there Frankieanne..
    Yeah, Edith can't catch a break! Wonder why he can't get a divorce..that sounds mean, but sounds like his wife has some health and mental issues to where she can't enjoy life with or without him. I don't know of any type of operation like that..depends on the individual and the individuals problem, wouldn't it? they do make stuff up, so might be a false statement on their part.. Wasn't that a hoot!!! O'Brien did look like she was gonna hurl:D I really like Bates..hes so suave:)

I hope I didn't spoil anything Frankieanne..our last episode the 2 hours were all one episode, so I can't remember exactly what you've seen and what you haven't.............................
    Flag
    No, you didn't spoil anything, Marie. :)
    I'm also not certain why its gone from "Thomas gets a recommendation" to "Thomas gets to stay." I didn't quite see the reasoning behind that one and I would think it woudl be uncomfortable for the whole downstairs. Seemed like The Earl just wanted to have a say in something for once.
    Flag
    Okay....I"m done. And like you Marie, I'm just devastated that we have to go without for months now before we get another 'fix'. :)
    Felt bad for Mrs. Patmore but was pleased she was able to laugh at the end. Glad they banished the house maid from Downton that was trying to pick up Branson. I think the Earl and Countess have a new lease on going forward and it was great to have the Earl come around and realize how lucky it was that they modernized when they did. Now we know why we were introduced to Rose. What do you think about a Rose and Branson match up? Just throwing it out there? A big sigh that Matthew is gone and I hope Mary doesn't go all cold and morose on us. Oh....and I did like that Thomas and Jimmy made up and can be friends and oh.....how about the Dr. and Isobel.....I would have liked that match up. :)
    Flag
    I could see where this easily could have been set up to be the last. Everything was pretty resolved - even the Dr. and Isobel. We could have left Branson alone, but still the agent and now knowing his new "place" in Downton. Especially since the maid has left us. Mrs. Patmore laughing with Mrs. Hughes over tea. O'Brien getting even with the lady's maid so a bit of happy for her. And Thomas and Jimmy being friends. Bates and Anna and the Earl and Cora so much in love. I am looking forward to season 4 but I think a season 3 ending with Matthew alive and happy with Mary and the new Downton heir would have been a happy ending for me. I could have lived with that.
    Flag
    I thought the Dr & Isobel would have been perfect toghther!!! We can always hope! She is such a kind lady, isn't she...Rose makes me crazy..she's uncontrollable to say the least..I like that Thomas & Jimmy are friends as well..Thomas does have a kind side to him, once in a blue moon!

I agree Frankieanne..I hated that Matthew died...wonder what Mary will be like now that she lost Matthew and has a new baby...
    Flag
    Ya, that was a funny with O'Brien and the other ladies maid. She was a piece of work too! And poor Molesley getting inebriated AGAIN! and making a fool out of himself. I'm a big fan of happy endings myself. Boring or not. :)
    Flag
    Warning: the following link tells who will leave next, although it doesn't say how. Unfortunately, there are some news articles online that say in the title of the link so - watch out if you don't want to know!
    http://movies.yahoo.com/news/downton-abbey-loses-another-actor-174000078.html
    Flag
    I had to look..I can't believe this one!!!!! What's going on? Why is everyone leaving Downton?
    Flag
    Did you click on the link inside the article as well? It goes into a bit more there.
    The only thing I could figure is that DA initially was only going to be on for three seasons. But then the popularity skyrocketed. Actually, I think it had to do a lot with how much everyone liked it "across the pond." Anyway - I supposed some people only figured they would be doing it for three years and didn't want to commit to anymore. I read that that Dan Stevens is currently working on Broadway in The Heiress. Maybe a few had already made other commitments thinking the job would be over in three years. I heard the reason that Sybil died was that the actress didn't want to do anymore than three seasons either. That's the only thing I can think of.
    Flag
    Well I had to look to and I have to say I did a little "Happy Dance". :) I won't miss her at all truly! :) As with anything....it's sometimes hard to let go of what we're comfortable with, but a change is as good as a rest right? :)
    Flag
    Saw a cute little blurb on Facebook today that said "Do they make Downton Abbey patches because I need to get my fix". LOL.
    Flag
    And.....now you have me thinking about how they are going to do away with her. Is her secret of the soap going to come out finally or is she going to be wooed away to India by Rose's Mother to do her hair properly? LOL.
    Flag
    hehe That's a thought. Nearly the last we saw of her was when she was talking to Shrimpy's wife. Maybe that is what will happen and it leaves the door open for her to come back. I have a feeling DA will be a bit dull without her. The villainess you love to hate. :)
    One thing they did leave up in the air was Daisy and the offer of the farm. I think she's nuts not to do it.
    Flag
    Makes you wonder if they will have another "meanie" to replace her..I agree Frankieanne, we say we hate her, but there we were every week watching to see what she will do next:) LOL
    Flag
    Hubby and I are huge Hockey fans in addition to being huge DA fans. Just recently our Ottawa Senators Team brought up a young guy from the minors "Obrien" and he's actually scored 5 goals for us so far. But every time they announce his name when he makes a play, Jim and I automatically think of the Obrien from DA skating around on the ice in skates and get a grin. :)
    Flag
    I can't imagine O'Brien skating. hehe :)
    I read another aritcle (gads, there are bunches of them!) and I guess Season 4 is going to start without her. So, the last we saw of her is the last we saw of her.
    Flag
    Oh wow, I think I'm going to actually miss O'Brien:(
    Flag
    I wish season 4 would start already.
    Flag
    Not sure if you guys are on Pinterest but there's an awesome Board called "Eat,Drink & Be Merry" exploring Food and Drink from the Downton Era. It's very cool. LOVE IT!
    http://pinterest.com/downtonabbeyuk/eat-drink-be-merry/
    Flag
    I will check that out..thanks Janet:)
    Flag
    ROFL....Sesame St. Downton
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPqL-1aSbn0
    Flag
    haha. I love that Sesame Street clip. Thanks for putting that here.
    There are so many pictures online of the filming that is going on. I guess we get to see Matthew's funeral. I saw a picture of "Mary" holding a little baby. I guess she is going to meet someone new, which I am not thrilled about at this point.
    I guess Shirley Maclaine will be back as well. I could do without that character. They sure made Americans look bad with that one. Did you see how she was eating and talking at the same time? Ugh. Kinda classless for someone who was supposed to have so much money.
    Flag
    Since we are all missing Downton, I just noticed Pride & Prejudice (the best one) will start airing on Ovatn (Ovatin TV) that's ch 291 here on Dish, March 18 starting at 1:00 pm PT..the guide lists 3 episodes..there are 6 in all, the remainder will show up on the guide here in a few days I'm sure..just thought you'd like to know! It's very good:)
    Flag
  • Good4U 11 years ago said:
    Here is some news on the casting for Season 4.
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/features/news/downton-abbey-season-4-casting-news?
    Flag
    Here's some more news about the ones who departed and what they are up to now:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/visit-britain-us/next-downton-abbey-dearly-departed-actors-225457618.html
    Funny how I found it in the Sports section at Yahoo. :-P
    Flag

Have a comment? Join this group first →