OK let's get cooking here! 4 MORE: couscous lemon shrimp basil

• mystic_river1 15 years ago
    should be able to really create some good ones...add lots LOL
    Flag
  • boofie 15 years ago said:
    This is like a field day for me! I'm working on this one right now but my gr always times out before I finish typing my post and I have to log back in and I lose it....so..hang tight. lmao
    Flag
  • boofie 15 years ago said:
    Kind of vietnamese inspired. Scrimp is not a typo (it's what I call my mother-in-law's teacup chihuahua but I guess it also works for a couscous-shrimp hybrid word). Enjoy.

3/4 lb raw shrimp, peeled and cleaned sans tails
    1/2 cup cous cous
    1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
    1 hot red chili, minced
    1 tsp grated lemon zest
    Salt and pepper to taste
    About 2 cups panko crumbs
    Oil for frying
    3 tbsp olive oil
    3 cloves of garlic, minced
    2 hot red chilis, sliced or diced
    1 tbsp sugar
    1 tbsp oyster sauce
    1 tbsp fish sauce
    1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
    A handful of basil leaves

1. Soak couscous in hot water for 1 minute. It should still be firm, but no longer crunchy.
    2. Mince shrimp to a very fine, but not paste-like, mince either by hand or with your food processor.
    2. Fold couscous, scallions, zest, and chili into shrimp and combine well.
    3. Form shrimp mixture into balls. Cover and allow to chill for at least thirty minutes for firming. Allow to sit at room temperature for 5 minutes before frying.
    4. When ready to fry, fill you wok 1/3-1/2 way up the side with oil. Heat until surface ripples but doesn't smoke.
    5. Roll scrimp balls in panko crumbs to coat.
    6. 7-8 at a time, carefully add scrimp balls to hot oil and fry 3-4 minutes, rotating often to ensure even browning. Drain on paper towels and serve with chilled rice vermicelli and basil chili sauce.
    7. Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Sautee garlic and chilies 2-3 minutes. Do not burn garlic.
    8. Add sugar, oyster sauce, fish sauce, and soy sauce. Heat and stir until sugar is dissolved.
    9. Throw in basil and mix. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
    10. Puree sauce in your blender until it reaches desired consistency. If you prefer a thinner sauce, slowly stream in white vinegar while blending.
    Flag

Have a comment? Join this group first →