Country Chicken with Gnocchi RecipeFrom lindysez2 4 years ago
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 whole chicken cut into 8 pieces shopping list
- 1/2 cup sliced onion shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1/2 cup diced carrot shopping list
- 1/2 cup peas (fresh or frozen, thawed if frozen) shopping list
- 1 cup dry white wine shopping list
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth, or homemade shopping list
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence (or more to taste *see note) shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon shopping list
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste shopping list
- 1 package potato gnocchi (unless you care to make your own) shopping list
- *Note: herbes de provence is a combination of basil, fennel, lavender, marjoram, rosemary, sage, savory and thyme. You could also substitute bouquet garni. shopping list
How to make it
- Season the chicken well with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat; add the chicken, skin side down (or you can remove the skin for a lighter version); fry until brown. Turn chicken and add the onion and garlic, saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the carrot; sprinkle with salt, pepper, herbes de Provence and tarragon.
- Add the wine and simmer until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock; reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes. Add the peas. Continue to cook, uncovered, 5 minutes longer or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil.
- Remove the cooked chicken to a platter; keep warm.
- Add the gnocchi to the boiling water, when then rise to the surface, remove with a slotted spoon; add to the sauce in the skillet; simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, mixing gently with the sauce until well coated. Taste, adjust seasonings; serve along side the chicken.
- Per Serving: 569 Calories; 35g Fat (9g Sat, 16g Mono, 7g Poly); 45g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 174mg Cholesterol; 712mg Sodium.