Super Simple SconesFrom sosousme 7 years ago
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (King Arthur preferred) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 3 tablespoons sugar shopping list
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing shopping list
- About 1/2 cup dried fruit, such as dried blueberries, apricots (cut into small pieces), or dried cranberries, or other fruits of your choice shopping list
- About 1/4 cup toasted nuts (I like sliced almonds, but pecans or walnuts work too) or to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking pan.
- Sift together, in a medium bowl, the flour, baking powder and salt, stir in the sugar. Add the fruits and nuts. Stir with a fork to combine.
- Add the cream; stir just until a dough forms.
- Gather the dough into a ball; turn out onto a lightly floured counter or work surface, and fold and kneed about 6 or 7 times...then pat out into about a 10 inch round about 1/2 inch thick. Cut with a knife or pastry cutter into 8 wedges. Place them on the prepared sheet; brush the tops with cream and sprinkle with some sugar; place in the oven (rack in the middle of the oven); and bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until nice and browned.