Very Good Glutenfree Pie CrustFrom sola 4 years ago
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch shopping list
- 1/2 cup cornstarch shopping list
- 1/4 cup potato starch shopping list
- 1 cup sweet rice flour,"mochi" style (ie) -Japanese,plus more for dusting board shopping list
- 1 tsp.xanthan gum shopping list
- 1/2 tsp.salt shopping list
- (dash sugar if a a dessert) shopping list
- 1 & 3/4 sticks unsalted butter-frozen shopping list
- 1 egg,cold shopping list
- 1 tbls.cider vinegar shopping list
- 4 tbls.ice water shopping list
How to make it
- Blend together the flours,starches,xanthan gum,salt and sugar if using in a large bowl.At this point if you have a food processor you could cut up butter (cold-but not frozen) and blend/pulse in machine with flours.
- If not,like me you dont have one:Place a box type grater in bowl over flours and grate butter,keeping wax paper on stick ,rolling down as you go.So you have a good grip.Every few minutes stir butter in flour,turning lightly with a fork and scraping inside of grater to remove butter shreds.Continue grating butter until all butter has been used.If you find yourself with an end you cant grate,just blend into flour.Stir butter pieces lightly into flour blend once more.
- Beat egg using fork,add vinegar and water.Stir into flour mixture,forming a ball.Scrape sides of bowl to combine dough into one large ball,using hands to knead & form it well.Cover dough ball with plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour,or overnight if you prefer.
- Cut pieces off dough once chilled,depending if making a whole pie or turnovers/empanadas etc,ideally keeping remaining dough cold until ready to roll.
- Place dough on lightly-sweet- rice floured wax paper,sprinkle more rice flour on top of dough before adding another layer of wax paper on top.Roll out to size you need and either transfer dough from paper to pie plate(Place/flip upside down/ dough side of paper into pie plate and peel off paper ).Form dough in pie plate with hands and crimps edges. Or fill for turnovers.Prick bottom of dough in pie plate for a baked shell-450 in a preheated oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Turnovers may take from 15-25 minutes depending on size./Use an egg wash for turnovers/empanadas.
- *The orginal recipe called for a 1/2 cup margarine and 1/2 cup butter flavored Crisco,if you prefer you can use those ingredients,but you will have to cut into dough by hand or in a processor.I think the unsalted butter technique worked superbly well.
- As you can see in photo I made spinach pies with mine( large & small) ,plus some sweet ones with a dried apricot filling.