Homemade TortillasFrom rodeogirl73 5 years ago
How to make it
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the shortening or lard. Use your clean hands to cut in the shortening or lard.
- Add warm water a little at a time until your dough is not sticky. Knead the dough for a few minutes.
- Pull off equal sized pieces to make about 12 small dough balls. Let them rest for about 15 minutes or longer.
- While dough is resting, heat up the pan. A cast iron skillet works well, or you can buy a comal. This is like a skillet but with low sides. For you cooks that like it authentic, comals are made for cooking tortillas.
- Heat the pan at medium heat. You don't want the tortillas to cook too fast.
- Roll the dough out with your smallest rolling pin, or a palote if you have one. Dust each dough ball with a little flour just before you roll it out.
- Lay the rolling pin in the center of the dough ball and roll up and out from all sides. Keep doing that until you get it to a good round shape and fairly thin(about 1/8" or less).
- Lay your tortilla on the hot pan. After just about 10-15 seconds, flip to the other side for a few seconds more. When they are done they should have lots of little brown spots.
- Stack and cover them one-by-one in a clean towel as you cook them. Or you can use a tortilla warmer to keep them warm. They are now ready to be eaten
The Cookrodeogirl73 Tacoma, WA
The Rating7 people
This is so simple! Who would have thought it could be so easy. Thanks for posting.joe1155 in Munchen loved it
Thanks for a great post! You have my 5!m2googee in Tomball loved it
It almost identical to the one I have out here. I love to make my own too! I learned in New Mexico from a little, grumpy, old Indian Lady. And I still can not flip them in the air to help flatten them. sigh I will just keep trying!!! Thanks fo...moretuilelaith in Columbia loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!