Southern Style BiscuitsFrom rodeogirl73 7 years ago
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, stirred before measuring shopping list
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 cup vegetable crisco only, chilled shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter, chilled shopping list
- 3/4 cup buttermilk shopping list
- 1 tbsp splenda (or can use sugar which is not much) shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oven to 450°. Adjust oven rack to center position.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Cut in chilled shortening and butter until you have pieces the size of small peas.
- Make a well in center of dry ingredients; pour in buttermilk.
- With a wooden spoon, gently blend dry ingredients into the buttermilk, just until mixture is clumping together.
- If necessary, add a few more teaspoons of buttermilk.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured board.
- Pat out in a circle about 8 inches in diameter and 1/2-inch thick.
- (if you want flaky kind, fold the dough, roll it out, then repeat fold again, til you want few levels of flakes)
- Using a 2 1/2 to 3-inch biscuit cutter, cut out and place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake on center oven rack for about 10 to 12 minutes, until tops are browned. *Optional, brush on melted honey butter on top after remove from oven*
- Makes 10 to 12 biscuits, depending on size of cutter.
The Cookrodeogirl73 Tacoma, WA
The Rating6 people
Thank-you so much for sharing this
'authentic' Southern Biscuit recipe~
It is just like the one my 'Nana' used~
Added this recipe to some of my 'Groups'~
~~~~~"5"FORK!!!!!~~~~~mjcmcook in Beach City loved it
Love those biscuitscuzpat in Sikeston loved it
My daughter has to make the bisquits. I make hockey pucks:) Thanks!fishtrippin in Estelline loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!