Slow Cooker Blueberry GruntFrom modelsmom 6 years ago
- Stewed Fruit: shopping list
- 2 pints fresh blueberries, picked over for stems, OR 1 (16oz) package individually frozen blueberries (NOT packed in syrup), thawed shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup water, warm if using frozen blueberries shopping list
- 2 T instant tapioca shopping list
- Dumpling Topping: shopping list
- 2 cups flour shopping list
- 2 T sugar shopping list
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/4 cup (half-stick) cold unsalted butter shopping list
- 1/2 cup cold milk shopping list
- 1 large egg shopping list
- cold heavy cream for serving shopping list
How to make it
- Coat the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray or grease with butter.
- Combine the blueberries, the half-cup of sugar, water, and tapioca in the cooker, stirring gently to evenly coat the berries.
- Cover and cook on LOW until the berries have formed a thick sauce, about 5 hours.
- To make the topping, whisk together the flour, the 2 T of sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In a small bowl, beat the milk and egg together, stir into the flour mixture with a few strokes to form a soft dough.
- Turn the cooker to HIGH and remove the lid.
- Drop the dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto the hot blueberries. Cover and cook until the topping is firm and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 minuites. The topping will not brown.
- Turn the cooker off, remove the lid, and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Spoon into individual bowls and pass the pitcher of heavy cream.