WEIGHT WATCHERS YULE LOG CAKEFrom spinach1948 5 years ago
- Ingredients: shopping list
- Cake: shopping list
- 6 eggs, at room temperature shopping list
- ¾ cup confectioners sugar shopping list
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract shopping list
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder shopping list
- ¼ cup cornstarch shopping list
- 1 Tbs. instant espresso coffee shopping list
- Frosting: shopping list
- 1 ½ cups part-skim ricotta cheese shopping list
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder shopping list
- ¼ cup sugar shopping list
- 2 Tbs. instant espresso coffee shopping list
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract shopping list
- Meringue Mushrooms: shopping list
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature shopping list
- 1/3 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder for dusting shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray a 151/2 x 101/2-inch jelly-roll pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Line bottom and sides with wax paper and spray paper with non-stick cooking spray.
- To prepare the cake, in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla until pale yellow, thick and tripled in volume, about 7 minutes. Mix together the cocoa, cornstarch and espresso coffee; fold into egg mixture in 3 additions, until smooth. Spread into prepared pan and bake 12 – 14 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on rack for 10 minutes. Place a sheet of wax paper larger than the cake on a flat surface and invert the cake onto the paper. Peel off the paper lining and starting with a long end, roll the cake jelly-roll style around the bottom sheet of wax paper. Place seam side down and let cool completely while making the frosting.
- To prepare the frosting, in a food processor or blender, combine ricotta cheese, cocoa powder, sugar, espresso coffee and vanilla; process until smooth. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- To assemble, unroll cake, spread with 1 generous cup of frosting and re-roll. With a knife cut a diagonal 4” slice from one end and reserve to make a “branch”. Place the roll seam-side down on a serving platter or the surface of your choice to create the decorative scene. Place the branch slice at one end, angled into the cake, seam-side down. Place strips of wax paper under each side. Reserve 2 tablespoons of frosting for the mushrooms and the remaining frosting over the cake, with a knife make wavy patterns to resemble bark. Decorate with Meringue Mushrooms. And dust with confectioners sugar to resemble snow.
- Meringue Mushrooms:
- Preheat oven to 200. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- In a medium bowl, with an electric mixer at medium speed, beat the egg whites until foamy. Gradually beat in sugar and continue beating until shiny and mixture forms stiff peaks when beater is lifted.
- Transfer the mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a ½ -inch plain tip. Pipe twelve 1-inch domes on sheet to serve as the mushroom caps. Hold a 1/8-inch tip over the pastry bag and pipe out twelve ¾ -inch high stem shapes. Bake about 1 hour, or until meringues are dry and lightly colored.
- Assemble mushrooms:
- To assemble, pierce a small hole in the bottom of each meringue cap and fill with 1/8 teaspoon of the reserved frosting. Insert pointed end of the meringue stem and repeat with remaining caps, frosting and stems. Dust stems lightly with cocoa powder.
- Serving Size: 1/12 of the cake with 1 mushroom
- Calories: 157, Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 116, Sodium: 72mg, Carbohydrate: 20g, Calcium: 105mg
The Cookspinach1948 Dorchester-Boston, MA
The Rating3 people
Great post. Always great to have a lightened up alternative especially during holiday season when we all consume too many calories! Five forks.mrsc543 in North Reading loved it
Be good for those who need to watch their weight, i'm just a guy that figure Christmas come just once a year so enjoy all the treat because it won't taste right any other time! lol!
but this is good! high 5cuzpat in Sikeston loved it
Lovely recipe! High FIVE going your way! :+Dchefelaine in Muskoka loved it