Skillet Hopping JohnFrom twill10 4 years ago
- Skillet Hopping John shopping list
- This is a southern favorite that can be made several ways . I use crisp fried bacon in mine and sometimes Ro-Tel tomatoes and green chillies if I want some fire, I never used the red pepper flakes. I have been making this over 25 years and mostly on New Years Day. shopping list
- ingredients: shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted shopping list
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed (1 can would work if you want more rice) shopping list
- 2 cups chicken broth shopping list
- 1 cup uncooked rice shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- crushed red pepper flakes shopping list
- Use the amount of fried bacon you like, but 3 or 4 slices works for me. shopping list
- You can use stewed tomatoes in place of the rotel tomatoes and green chilies. shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Saute onion and garlic in butter until onion is tender.
- 2. Stir in black-eyed peas, chicken broth, rice, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper.
- 3. Bring mixture to a boil; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- 4. Serve with additional crushed red pepper. Serves 6.