Cheesy Cactus Corn BreadFrom spinach1948 5 years ago
- Ingredients: shopping list
- 4 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal shopping list
- 2/3 cup sugar shopping list
- 3 Tbs. baking powder shopping list
- 1 Tbs. salt shopping list
- 1 cup shortening ( Crisco in can or equivalent ) shopping list
- 3 cups milk shopping list
- 4 eggs, beaten shopping list
- ½ cup finely shredded cheddar cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven at 400.
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients; cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, combine milk and eggs; stir into dry ingredients just until blended.
- For bread pour into a greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan or 4 small loaf pans. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes Cut the bread in the larger pan into squares. Yields: 16-20 servings.
- NOTE: To make the Cactus-shaped corn bread, fill well-greased Cactus molds almost full. Sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon of cheese. Bake at 400 for 13 – 15 minutes or until golden.
- MOLDS: Molds are available from:
- LODGE MANUFACTURING COMPANY
- Customer Service, P.O. Box
- South Pittsburgh, TN 37380
- Phone: 1-423-837-7181
- 1 Cactus Mold with five cactus in the mold is $24.95 this does not include the shipping and handling.
The Cookspinach1948 Dorchester-Boston, MA
The Rating7 people
Goodhungrybear in Miner loved it
Very good!! high 5!cuzpat in Sikeston loved it
Cornbread and chili are on the menu today! I even have this great cactus mold! 5UP
Diannediannehocut in Little Rock loved it
Southwestern Foodies2 members
Muffins, Quick Breads, Scones and Biscuits281 members
Biscuits And Scones69 members
Home Cooking58 members
Cheese Lovers101 members
Unique And Unusual Recipes84 members
Breads Rolls And Biscuits37 members
Quick And Easy25 members