Poached Egg Crostone with Spinach and BaconFrom darbar 7 years ago
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed shopping list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper shopping list
- 1 16-ounce oval-shaped loaf country white sourdough bread shopping list
- 8 thick bacon slices shopping list
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot shopping list
- 1 10-ounce bag fresh baby spinach shopping list
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 4 large eggs shopping list
- parmesan cheese shavings shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Combine 1 cup olive oil and next 3 ingredients in small saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat 2 minutes to release flavors. Remove from heat. Season mixture with salt and pepper.
- Using large serrated knife, trim off crust from top and sides of bread, leaving bottom crust intact to form rectangle-shaped loaf. Quarter trimmed loaf crosswise, forming 4 thick rectangular pieces. Cut deep nest in 1 piece, leaving 1/2-inch border on all 4 sides and 3/4-inch-thick base. Pull out bread center. Repeat with remaining bread pieces; reserve centers for another use. Place hollowed-out bread pieces on small baking sheet. Brush bread all over with olive oil mixture. Bake until bread is golden brown, about 7 minutes. Cool bread; maintain oven temperature.
- Cook bacon in large skillet until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Add shallot and sauté 2 minutes. Add spinach and stir until just wilted. Fill 12-inch-diameter skillet with water to within 1/2 inch of top. Add vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Break 1 egg into small custard cup, being careful to keep yolk intact. Gently slide egg into boiling water; repeat with remaining eggs. Simmer until eggs are softly cooked, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill each bread hollow with spinach; top with bacon, breaking bacon slices in half to fit. Place in oven until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Place 1 bread on each of 4 plates. Using slotted spoon, place 1 poached egg atop each. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Top with Parmesan; serve immediately.
The Cookdarbar Elmhurst, IL
The Rating4 people
My dinner tonight! :-) Very filling and delicious. Thank you!frankieanne in Ukiah loved it
How double-delicious! thanks for the post!mystic_river1 in Bradenton loved it
Beautiful!rml in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!