Banana And Coconut Cream Custard BreadFrom jolielives 6 years ago
- *******For the Bread******** shopping list
- 1 1/2 Cups flour (I use oat bran flour, but any kind will do) shopping list
- 2 1/4 baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 Cup Room Temp. or Soft butter (Any shortening will suffice) shopping list
- 1/2 Cup sugar (I use raw sugar, but any Sweetening will do = to 1/2 C sugar) shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest (I like this but you can omit if you don't have on hand) shopping list
- 2 eggs (Either pre-scramble in a separate bowl or mix inside of bananas + Mixture.) shopping list
- 3 or 4 Throw Away Ripe bananas (Mine were starting to ferment. I had 3 medium black bananas) shopping list
- 1/2 Cup shredded coconut shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons coconut for top of bread dough (?) shopping list
- *********coconut Custard********** shopping list
- coconut custard Mix (I had an old mix kicking around, in a Jell-O type box) shopping list
- 2 Cups milk (I use 2% milk when I use dairy. Next time I'll use almond milk.) shopping list
How to make it
- ****Bread Mixture First
- Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees
- You'll need 2 Bowls, 1 Medium sized & 1 Large one.
- In the Medium sized bowl, mix together the Flour & the Baking Powder. I sifted them both, but you do not have to. Set aside.
- In the Large Bowl:
- Mix together the soft Butter, Sugar & Lemon Zest.
- Add in the peeled Bananas & mix well. Add the 2 beaten Eggs & continue to mix throughly. Then add in the Coconut Flakes & mix well. Set aside.
- ****For the Custard
- I cheated did it in the microwave.
- In a Medium sized bowl, pour in the Custard mix & add the 2 Cups of milk. Put into the microwave for 2 Minutes. Take out & stir. Place back into microwave for 2 more minutes, then take out & stir. Repeat 1 more time. The total time for the custard in the microwave is 6 minutes.
- Note: The Custard needs to be stirred every 2 minutes. After the 5th minute in the microwave, the mixture expands. So do not do what I did & put it in a shallow bowl unless you want Custard all over the bottom of your microwave.
- *****Bringing It All Together
- While the Custard is in the microwave, pour 1/2 of the Flour/Baking Powder Mixture into the Sugar, Bananas, Eggs + Mixture & blend thoroughly. Keeping the Custard in the microwave stirred & then back into the microwave while you do so, add the other 1/2 of the Flour + Mixture into the Bananas + Mixture & make sure you scrape the sides so it's all mixed well.
- When the Custard is done, the Bowl will be HOT. Carefully pour 1/2 of the Hot Custard Mixture into the Flour + & Bananas + Mixture. Mix well. Add the rest of the Custard & make sure it's well blended. It will be soupy.
- Grease a Large Loaf Pan & then pour the Mixed Ingredients into the Bread Pan. Sprinkle the Coconut flakes all over the top.
- Put the mix into the oven. At 1 Hour, stick a knife into the center of the bread. If the knife comes out clean, then remove the bread. If the knife isn't clean, keep cooking the Bread & check it every 5 minutes. If the top is perfectly brown & the knife does not come out clean when inserted into the cooking bread, then cover the Bread with Foil & continue cooking.
- When knife comes out almost clean or clean, remove bread from oven. Turn out from Bread Pan & let cool for at least 20 minutes. It needs to rest & set before cutting.
- Wrap whatever is left in an air tight container. The bread is softer & the flavors stronger the next day.
- This is Goooood Stuffff.
The Cookjolielives The Catskill Plateau , NY
The Rating4 people
I like this and if you don't mind, I am going to use up some of the black walnuts that are strewed all over the back yard in mine. My silly dog will eat as many as I can crack, but don't want to clog her up.
Jeffhot_it_up in Columbiana loved it
This must taste amazing! Will have to try for sure. Thanks and 5 forks.maureenlaw in ST LOUIS loved it
love this one too.choclytcandy in loved it