Green Chili Chicken Tortilla SoupFrom sosousme 6 years ago
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or grapeseed oil shopping list
- 4 chicken breasts, bone in with skin shopping list
- 3 poblano chilies, seeded and roughly cut shopping list
- 3 ancho chilies, seeded and roughly cut shopping list
- 3 jalepeno chilies, seeded and roughly cut shopping list
- 1 white onion, roughly cut shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, or to taste shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, or to taste shopping list
- 8 cups low-sodium or homemade chicken stock shopping list
- 1 (14.5 - ounce) can white hominy, (optional) shopping list
- salt and pepper, to taste shopping list
- To Serve With: shopping list
- Baked tortilla strips (cut the tortilla into 3rds then into thin strips and bake in the oven at 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes) shopping list
- 2 ripe tomatoes, diced shopping list
- I avocado diced shopping list
- 3 green onions, sliced shopping list
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped shopping list
- 2 limes, cut into quarters shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the oil until hot, but not smoking, in a large soup pot or Dutch oven. Generously season the chicken breast with salt and pepper then place in the hot oil, skin side down. Leave to brown, about 5 minutes. Then turn and brown the other side, about 3 minutes. Take the chicken out of the pan and set-aside. When cool, remove the skin.
- Meanwhile, put the chilies and onion (in batches) into the work bowl of a food processor. Roughly chop, do not pulverize, with on/off pulses (about 7 or 8). After you take the chicken out of the pot, lower the heat and add the chopped chilies and onion, stir, then cover and allow to sweat over low heat, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cumin and oregano, some salt and pepper, then add the chicken stock. Put the chicken breasts back into the pot, bring to a simmer, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken breast and allow to cool. Add the hominy to the pot and simmer another 10 minutes.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred as much meat as you want in the soup (I used only 3 - save what you don't use for another use) and add back to the pot. Simmer until hot.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with your toppings of choice, and squeezing lime juice into it as desired.
- Per Serving: 287 Calories; 12g Fat (2g Sat, 9g Mono, 2g Poly); 22g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 46mg Cholesterol; 223mg Sodium.
The Cooksosousme Santa Rosa, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!