Beef MechadoFrom cookingdolphin 6 years ago
- 500 g beef shanks cut into 3 cm cubes or any boneless beef cut (fatty sections recommended) shopping list
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed about the same size as the beef shopping list
- 1 300g can of tomato sauce shopping list
- 1/8 cup soy sauce (i recommend shōyu or light soy sauce) shopping list
- 1 medium red onion, sliced shopping list
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced into squares shopping list
- 2 tbsp cooking oil shopping list
- 1 small lime (calamansi) shopping list
- cheddar cheese shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- water shopping list
How to make it
- Season beef with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan big enough to accomodate the ingredients.
- Add the onions and saute until soft
- Add beef cuts and saute until seared at the edges
- Add the soy sauce and enough water to cover the beef cuts, cover and simmer until beef is tender. If beef is not yet tender, keep adding water to prevent from drying.
- When beef is tender, continue to simmer until liquid is nearly half the height of the beef.
- Add the potatoes and let it simmer until potato is nearly done.
- Add the tomato sauce and bell peppers.
- Let it simmer until potato is done.
- Add small lime (juice only, no seeds)
- Simmer for a minute.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Take the saucepan off the fire and grate the cheese on top until thinly covered.
- Cover saucepan and let sit for a while to let the cheese melt.
- Serve with steamed rice or bread.
The Cookcookingdolphin Singapore, SG
- Not added to any groups yet!