Autumn Butternut Cream SoupFrom hollyeats 5 years ago
- 2 TBS EVOO shopping list
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and sliced shopping list
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, cored and diced shopping list
- chicken broth to cover (about 4 cups) shopping list
- 2 fire-roasted red paprika peppers (from jar is fine) shopping list
- 1/2 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. fresh-ground nutmeg shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. fresh-ground black pepper shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the oil until very hot and add onions.
- Stir onions until they start to brown.
- Turn heat down and continue browning, stirring often, until onions are deep golden (about 8 minutes).
- Add the chunks of squash and stir, coating with oil.
- Barely cover with chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer, covered, about 15 minutes.
- Add the two paprika peppers.
- Puree with an in-pot mixer until smooth.
- Add cream and other spices excepting salt.
- Puree again.
- Taste and add more salt only if needed.
- Serve as an appetizer or as an entree with open-faced cheese sandwiches and salad.