MY butter chickenFrom iamso 5 years ago
- 1 lb chicken thighs, chopped into bite size pieces (half may be substituted with chicken breast, however, it will be dryer and less flavourful) shopping list
- 8 oz tomato paste shopping list
- 1 white onion, diced shopping list
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (or 1/2 cup heavy cream; i like to use both) shopping list
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, half and half (or homo milk), shopping list
- 4 tbsp butter, divided shopping list
- 1 1/2 tbsp garam masala (or more, if you like it a little more spicy) shopping list
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (optional) shopping list
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander (optional) shopping list
- up to 1/2 tbsp chili powder (depending on heat) shopping list
- 1/2 tbsp cumin (i like the extra cumin, just cause) shopping list
- 3 cups rice of choice - jasmine is the usual rice, however, i like brown or black (forbidden) rice. shopping list
How to make it
- In a large frying pan (at least twice as much room than the chicken will need), place about 1 1/2 tbsp butter, and chicken, and cook on medium heat until sealed (white on the outside, still pink inside)
- !!!Start making your rice now so it's done at about the same time
- Add diced onion, garam masala, tumeric, coriander, chili powder and cumin, stir and cook until onions are transparent but not limp (about 3 minutes)
- Add tomato paste and the rest of the butter, stir and cook about 2 minutes.
- Mound chicken in the middle of the frying pan, and while stirring, pour in heavy cream and plain yogurt.
- Cover and cook about 15 minutes on medium-low heat, sauce will thicken and possibly separate a little - it may look like red oil top
- Serve hot over or beside rice.
- This recipe can also be made in a slow cooker for potlucks and office parties - just double the recipe, keeping the fully cooked chicken separate from the sauce, and combine in crockpot on high heat for 4 hours before the start of the party/function.
The Cookiamso Victoria, CA
The Rating4 people
Wonderful!!pleclare in Framingham loved it
This is one of my favorite Indian dishes. Really nice.joe1155 in Munchen loved it
Thanks, sounds absolutely wonderful!valinkenmore in Malott loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!