Herbed Chicken Breast on Pasta with Zucchini Ricotta and BasilFrom sosousme 6 years ago
- For the chicken: shopping list
- 6 (4-ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts shopping list
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced oregano - or 1 teaspoon dried shopping list
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced thyme - or 1 teaspoon dried shopping list
- salt and pepper, to taste shopping list
- 1 teaspoon olive oil shopping list
- For the pasta: shopping list
- 1 pound penne pasta shopping list
- 1 cup fresh ricotta cheese Fresh Homemade Ricotta shopping list
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, torn or chopped, divided shopping list
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 pound zucchini, cut into a small dice (about 1/4 inch pieces) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic shopping list
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Rinse the chicken breasts and pat dry. Rub each breast with olive oil, then lightly salt and pepper. Combine the minced oregano and thyme and then spread lightly over each breast, pressing lightly with your fingers so it adheres. Place an oven safe non-stick skillet over medium high heat, when hot add 1 teaspoon olive oil and the chicken breasts, herb side down. Cook for 5 minutes or until lightly browned, then turn and place in the oven for 10 minutes or until cooked through, do not over cook. (Finishing the chicken in the oven helps it retain its moisture.)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a large pinch of salt. cook the pasta according to package directions; reserve 1 cup of the pasta water then drain the pasta. Place the ricotta in a large warm serving bowl along with 3/4 of the basil. Add the reserved pasta water, a bit at a time, until the ricotta thins to a saucy consistency.
- While the pasta and chicken cook, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and heat until hot, but not smoking. Add the zucchini along with a nice pinch of salt and a sprinkling of freshly ground pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini begins to brown around the edges, lower the heat and add the garlic ; cook a few minutes more (you don't want the garlic to brown, browned garlic tastes bitter).
- Add the pasta, zucchini, and Parmesan cheese to the ricotta; toss until well coasted. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Place 1 portion of the pasta on each warmed place, top with the chicken breast (nicely sliced if you like) and sprinkle with the remaining basil.
- Per Serving: 551 Calories; 13g Fat (5g Sat, 9g Mono, 1g Poly); 44g Protein; 61g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 84mg Cholesterol; 434mg Sodium.