Blue Cheese Dip with Caramelized OnionsFrom cuzpat 4 years ago
- 2 cups yellow onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil shopping list
- Pinch of sugar shopping list
- Pinch of salt shopping list
- 1 Tablespoon Port shopping list
- 4 oz. blue cheese, crumbled (about 2/3 cup) shopping list
- 6 oz. plain lowfat or nonfat yogurt shopping list
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise shopping list
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce shopping list
- juice of 1/2 a lemon shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons scallions, chopped shopping list
- salt and cayenne to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Caramelize onion in olive oil with sugar and salt in a heavy skillet over medium low-heat. Stir occasionally to prevent scorching, but do not stir too often. They will brown better if left alone. After 5 minutes of cooking, cover the pan (the lid keeps moisture inside so the onions won't burn easily). Cook until brown and very soft, 20-25 minutes. Stir in the port, scraping up any brown residue left on the bottom of the pan; cool onions slightly.
- Blend cheese, yogurt, mayonnaise, Worcestershire and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Add cooled onions, scallions, salt and cayenne to taste; stir to blend. Cover and chill at least 2 hours but 24 hours is preferred. The dip really changes flavor over that time. Serve with potato chips.
People Who Like This Dish 6
The Cookcuzpat Sikeston, Mo
The Rating7 people
Hi how are ya,
This is a very good dip.
Edspinach1948 in Dorchester-Boston loved it
yum!greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it
HI! Been busy all weekend, I could eat this 'all gone'!!! HIGH FIVE FORKS!!!!snowcat17 in Milwaukee loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!