Grandma Nancys Fried Apple PieFrom sunrae 4 years ago
- Pie Dough: shopping list
- 2 cups all purpose flour shopping list
- 2 tsp baking powder shopping list
- 1/4 tsp baking soda shopping list
- 3/4 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/4 cup Crisco or lard (grandma used lard) shopping list
- 3/4 buttermilk shopping list
- Filling: shopping list
- 4 cup diced tart apples (Grannie Smith suggested) shopping list
- 1/4 cup water shopping list
- 3/4 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon shopping list
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg shopping list
- 1/4 tsp salt shopping list
How to make it
- Pie Dough:
- Mix flour, salt, baking powder & baking soda together; cut in Crisco (or lard) with pastry cutter until mixture is course crumbs.
- Add buttermilk and stir until well combined.
- Turn dough on to lightly floured board or pastry cloth.
- Knead gently until smooth, roll out to 1/4 inch thick and cut circles with three inch pastry cutter; makes 16 circles (my sister uses a small saucer to make circles).
- Place all ingredients into heavy skillet and cook down on medium heat until apples are syrupy.
- Scoop a couple of tablespoons apple filling into center of circle, fold over and wet edges with water; seal together by pressing edges together with fork.
- Fry in hot corn oil on medium heat two at a time until golden brown.
- Place on paper towel to drain and cool.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Sprinkle with powder sugar if desired.