Rich Beef StewFrom pleclare 6 years ago
- 6 slices bacon shopping list
- 3 lbs. beef roast,trimmed of fat and cut in 1" cubes shopping list
- 3 Tbs flour shopping list
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper shopping list
- 1-2 Tbs vegetable oil(optional-as needed) shopping list
- 1 red onion,coarsely chopped shopping list
- 3 c baby carrots or sliced carrots shopping list
- 1 c red wine shopping list
- 1 c beef broth(or 1 C water mixed with 1 tsp beef soup base) shopping list
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes shopping list
- 1 5 oz can tomato paste shopping list
- 1 tsp dried basil shopping list
- 1 tsp tyhme shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt(prefer sea salt) shopping list
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms,sliced shopping list
- 1 c dried tomatoes shopping list
How to make it
- Fry bacon in skillet until crispy over med. heat. Pull bacon out and let rest on paper towels to absorb grease. Leave drippings in pan to use to fry beef.
- Toss beef cubes in flourand pepper. Brown in 3-4 batches. If needed,add 1 Tbs. vegetable oil to the pan before browning each additional batch of beef to help brown. Then add onions and carrots and cook for about 5 mins.
- Place beef/vegetable mixture in a slow cooker. Pour about 1/3 of wine in skillet and stir up yummy browned bits. Add liquid from the pan to slow cooker along with remaining wine and the beef broth. Stir in crushed tomatoes and tomato paste. Add basil,thyme and salt.
- Crumble crispy bacon into the slow cooker. Set cooket to hig for 2 hours and then low for 5 or more if necessary.
- About 30 mins before serving,add mushrooms and dried tomatoes.
- Serve over rice ,noodles or mashed potatoes.
- Note:If you do not havee a slow cooker,you can put in large oven-proof dish with a lid and put in preheated 325 degree oven for 3-4 hours.
The Cookpleclare Framingham, MA
The Rating5 people
I LOVE a good beef stew and this looks absolutely perfect. HIGH 5 and I can't wait to make it ;)lor in Toronto loved it
I am going to make this for thursday's supper I have this written down so I'll let you know how it turns out:) HOGH FIVE FORKS!!!snowcat17 in Milwaukee loved it
Very goodhungrybear in Miner loved it