Venison Pepper SteakFrom davik 3 years ago
- Three good cuts of venison such as rump steak or loin (a good cut of beef could be substituted) shopping list
- salt shopping list
- Coarsely cracked black pepper shopping list
- ~ 1/2 C cream shopping list
- Dijon mustard shopping list
- ~ 1/3 C dry sherry shopping list
- vegetable oil (not olive oil or butter, their smoke point is too low) shopping list
How to make it
- Bring your venison to room temperature, and season with salt and pepper, going heavy on the pepper and rubbing it in to the meat. Allow the meat to sit for at least 20 minutes after seasoning.
- Put enough oil in a steel skillet (do NOT use non-stick, you'll destroy the pan and your food) to just coat the bottom, and heat until VERY hot. Ideally you want it just below the smoke point, so you might want to have a lid on hand in case you over-shoot and ignite the oil.
- Put the venison in the pan and sear it hard on all sides, cooking it to rare or medium-rare. If you're using a thicker cut of venison you may have to finish the cooking by moving the skillet to a 375 degree oven to prevent burning.
- When the venison is done remove it from the pan and wrap in aluminum foil to rest for at least 10 minutes, 15 is even better.
- Deglaze the skillet with the sherry, whisking to pick up all the bits stuck on the pan. Some of the sherry can be substituted out for cognac if you're looking for some pyrotechnics.
- Add in the cream, whisking to combine, then whisk in the mustard to taste.
- When the meat has rested, open the foil and remove the meat; add any juices in the foil to the sauce in the pan.
- Taste the pan sauce, adjust seasoning if necessary, and serve.
The Cookdavik Lansing, MI
The Rating2 people
I'll be trying this soon!fishtrippin in Estelline loved it
I prepared your recipe tonight, doubling it, using 6 venison steaks. As usual, I soaked my venison in white vinegar a couple of hours and then rinsed and trimmed out the bones and sinew; then I soaked the cut up pieces in milk for several hours. Af...morethepoint in Hagerstown loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!