Five Onion Soup With Garlic CroutonsFrom sosousme 5 years ago
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 large leek, white and pale part only, chopped shopping list
- 1 onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 red onion, chopped shopping list
- 3 green onions, chopped shopping list
- 2 shallots, chopped shopping list
- 2 stalks celery, chopped shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, minced shopping list
- 1/2 cup dry sherry shopping list
- 1 (12 - ounce) russet potato, peeled and diced shopping list
- 8 cups chicken broth, (preferably homemade, or low-sodium) shopping list
- Chopped chives shopping list
- 12 (1/4 inch) baguette slices shopping list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, crushed shopping list
How to make it
- Melt the butter in a heavy large Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add the leek, onion, red onion, green onion, shallot, celery and garlic. Saute until translucent; about 8 minutes. Add the Sherry; simmer until the liquid evaporates. Add the potato and broth; simmer until the potato is very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender (be very careful when pureeing hot liquids, hold the top on with a folded towel and do not overfill the containers; puree in batches). Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, brush the baguette slices with olive oil. Bake in a moderate (350 degree F) oven until crisp. Rub with the garlic.
- Bring the soup to a simmer, thinning with additional stock, if desired. Ladle into deep bowls; lay the crouton on top and sprinkle with chives.
- Per Serving: 333 Calories; 11g Fat; 20g Protein; 35g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 21mg Cholesterol; 964mg Sodium.
The Cooksosousme Santa Rosa, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!