Home Made Wholegrain Mustard With Garlic N HoneyFrom wynrol 5 years ago
- 4oz /100 g brown or black mustard seeds or both (50/50) shopping list
- 5-7fl oz / 150-200 ml white wine vinegar OR white OR red shopping list
- 4oz / 100 g yellow mustard seeds, whole shopping list
- 3 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 2 teaspoons garlic granules shopping list
- 2 teaspoons honey (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Put the all the mustard seeds into a non-metallic bowl and pour over 150 ml of the wine or vinegar or just so the mustards are covered with an extra 1/2" wine on top. If using wine, you MUST add 1 or 2 tbsp of vinegar to start the chemical reaction in the seeds.
- Cover and leave overnight.
- If you leave it for 2 days, it gets it hotter, 3 days is about the most you should leave it.
- When you think its to your taste (heat-wise), drain the mixture and reserve the liquid. Use a mortar and pestle to pound the mixture until the seeds are coarsely broken. Or use a liquidizer.
- Stir in the salt and the honey to the mixture. Taste and adjust.
- If the mixture is too dry add some of the wine liquid you got when you drained the seeds.
- Spoon into jars and seal and label as normal. Keep at room temperature for 3 days to allow the flavours to develop. Then store 2 weeks in the fridge before using (if you can manage to keep yourself from using it.)
- Will keep for up to 6 months or more in the fridge.
- The recipe pictures shown is using red wine.