Large Hippodrome CakeFrom hopscotch 5 years ago
- Ingredient Quantity shopping list
- 1. 10" Yellow Sponge cake 1 shopping list
- 2. Plain syrup 3 ounces shopping list
- 3. vanilla Pastry Cream 8 ounces shopping list
- 4. apricot preserves 8 ounces shopping list
- 5. Decor Meringue 8 ounces shopping list
- 6. sliced almonds (un-toasted) 2-1/2 ounces shopping list
- 7. Red apricot glaze 3-1/2 ounces shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Slice Slice the sponge cake into three equal layers. Place the first layer on an 10" cake board.
- 2. Brush Brush the first layer with 1/3 of the Syrup.
- 3. Spread Using a spatula spread the Pastry Cream onto the layer.
- 4. Repeat Press the center layer on and repeat steps #2 and #3 (using the apricot jam). Press on the top layer and use the remaining 1/3 of the syrup.
- 5. Hide Apply a generous coating of the warm meringue to the sides and top of the finished cake. Ensure the top is very smooth.
- 6. Apply Using a medium star tip fill a pastry bag with the meringue and draw five straight lines spaced evenly across the top of the iced cake. In a circular motion block the open ends of the five lines with rosettes of the meringue forming a border.
- 7. Apply Working over a open bowl of raw sliced almonds - press them to the side of the cake.
- 8. Bake Bake in a 450°(F) pre-heated oven until the meringue browns evenly, and the nuts are roasted. Remove from oven cool for a while then chill.
- 9. Garnish Warm to liquefy the red apricot glaze, not boiling hot. Use a small bowl or measuring cup with a pouring spout to apply the red glaze between the lines of meringue. Should there be a leak try taking a sliced almond from the side of the cake to plug the hole.
- 10. Chill Chill well before trying to cut and serve.
- Additional Comments: Apply the lines and border to the smooth top in a fashion that there will be a tight fit - and no leaks.
- (If you need recipes for a sponge cake, glaze, and so on - let me know. The time includes make everything from scratch. The pastry cream can be a headache. I need to resolve the curdling deliemma (laughs) - overcooking it - followed the recipe, so next time I'll undercook it by ten minutes or so, and see what happens.
- Told ya, this chef is a Americana Frenchie (laughs) - love those SHORTCUTS.)