Benden BaklavaFrom tuilelaith 7 years ago
- 12 ounces melted clarified butter or fat shopping list
- 4 ounces oil shopping list
- 32 ounces pulverized Benden nuts powdered bark spice (optional) shopping list
- 40 leaves of flour-and-water dough stretched to paper thinness shopping list
- 12 ounces granulated sweetening shopping list
- 1/4 ounce strained citrus juice shopping list
- 6 ounces water shopping list
- 1/4 ounce sweet syrup shopping list
How to make it
- Mix butter and oil.
- Cut dough to shape of the baking pan by laying the pan on top of stacked leaves.
- Butter the inside of the baking dish.
- Gently place one leaf of dough into the pan, fitting carefully along the bottom of the pan.
- The leaves are very fragile. so fold to pick them up, and unfold when in place in the pan.
- Brush with butter-and-oil mixture.
- Repeat with 9 more sheets.
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of powdered nuts (with optional spice to taste) on tenth leaf.
- Open two more leaves of dough on top of nut mixture, buttering each in turn.
- Repeat with the nut mixture and two more leaves until all are used up.
- As soon as the last two leaves are used, brush the top with butter and oil.
- With a very sharp knife, score the top of the pastry lightly lengthwise into four, and then draw the knife diagonally to make lozenge-shaped portions.
- Bake in a 325 degree oven for 90 minutes.
- Combine the next three ingredients in a saucepan.
- Cook until the sweetening dissolves.
- Boil for five minutes, or until a drop of it forms a soft ball when dropped into cold water.
- Remove from heat; stir in syrup.
- As soon as the pastry is baked, remove from oven and pour the sweet misture over it.
- Cool the pastry to room temperature.
The Cooktuilelaith Columbia, MO
The Rating4 people
Love baklava! This one has a unique syrup, thanks for sharing!juels in Clayton loved it
The poor little buggers, I feel sorry for them.
This sounds so delicious anyway with out the honey.
Hi 5 from me.
Edspinach1948 in Dorchester-Boston loved it