Roast Chicken Stuffed with Fennel and GarlicFrom mystic_river1 7 years ago
- Ingredients: shopping list
- 3 large fresh fennel bulbs, trimmed, each cut into 8 wedges shopping list
- 2 tbs plus 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled shopping list
- 2 tbs fennel seeds, coarsely crushed in resealable plastic bag shopping list
- 2 tbs chopped fresh thyme shopping list
- 2 tbs chopped fresh rosemary shopping list
- 2 tbs chopped fresh tarragon shopping list
- 2 tbs chopped fresh marjoram shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper shopping list
- Two 3-lb whole chickens shopping list
- 2 lemons, halved shopping list
- 1 cup dry white wine shopping list
- 1/3 cup chicken broth shopping list
How to make it
- Cook fennel in large pot of boiling salted water until tender when pierced with knife, about 8 minutes. Drain. Transfer to bowl.
- Mix in 2 tablespoons olive oil; garlic; 1 tablespoon each fennel seeds, thyme, rosemary, tarragon, and marjoram; then 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Mix remaining 1 tablespoon each fennel seeds and herbs in small bowl.
- Rinse chickens inside and out; pat dry.
- Rub chickens inside and out with lemon halves, squeezing some of juice into cavities.
- Rub outside of chickens with 1/4 cup olive oil, then fennel seed mixture.
- Sprinkle chickens generously with salt and pepper.
- Loosely stuff chickens with some of fresh fennel mixture.
- Tie legs together.
- Place chickens, breast side down, in large roasting pan.
- Arrange remaining fresh fennel mixture around chickens.
- Roast chickens 30 minutes, basting occasionally with pan juices.
- Combine wine and broth and pour over chickens.
- Roast 15 minutes.
- Turn chickens breast side up.
- Roast chickens until juices run clear when pierced with fork in thickest part of thigh, about 40 minutes longer.
- Transfer chickens and fennel mixture to platter.
- Pour pan juices into bowl; skim off fat.
- Pour juices over chickens and serve.
The Cookmystic_river1 Bradenton, Florida
The Rating6 people
Five forky!!!goodeat in Benton loved it
Last night I roasted root vegetables ,fennil,parsnips,carrots,white yams,in olive oil and fresh pepperand koshersalt,they were amazing,with a roast I also prepared separately.This sounds good,I'll try,5 forks.Ijust made the 6 hour chicken last Sunday...morelanabade in Goshen loved it
I love the herbs combination on this one... This sounds moist and delicious! My parents grow fennel and I will definitely bring some to try this recipe. Thank you for sharing!! 5 forksgourmetana in London loved it
Garlic Lovers460 members
Italian Group96 members
Checkin Central284 members
Companys Coming115 members
Chicken Its Whats For DInner121 members
Chicken Please145 members
Delicious Foods39 members
Every Thing Italian47 members
Its The Great Garlic Charlie Brown16 members