Moist Lemon Poppy Seed CakeFrom karlyn255 4 years ago
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour shopping list
- 1 1/8 cups white sugar shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest shopping list
- 4 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds shopping list
- 1 1/3 cups unsalted butter, softened shopping list
- 5 eggs shopping list
- 3/4 cup white sugar shopping list
- 3/4 cup lemon juice shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease and flour one 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Sift together the flour, 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons white sugar and salt. Then mix in the lemon peel, poppy seeds and butter.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- In a saucepan over low heat; cook 3/4 cup white sugar and the lemon juice until stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Let cool to just warm or to room temperature.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place the pan on a wire rack-place a cookie sheet underneath this rack.
- Prick the top of the cake several times with a toothpick. Brush the top of the cake with the warm or room temperature syrup, allowing lots of the syrup to run down and soak into the sides and bottom of the cake. Cool slightly in the pan before removing the cake to the wire rack to cool completely.
- When completely cooled, wrap the cake in foil or plastic freezer wrap and let the cake rest at least one day before serving to your guests.