Egg Bread ChallahFrom louiskarol 5 years ago
How to make it
- Combine-Yeast, sugar & 1/4 cup lukewarm water.
- Let stand 5 min.
- Sift- flour & salt into a bowl.
- Make a well in the center & drop in eggs, oil, remaining water yeast , mixture into it & work.into the flour.
- Knead on a floured surface until smooth & elastic.
- Place in a bowl & brush the top with a little oil.
- Cover with a towel, set in warm place & let rise for 1 hr.
- Punch down, & cover again, let rise, until double the bulk.
- Divide the dough into 3 equal parts.
- Between lightly floured hands roll the dough into 3 strip of equal length.
- Braid them together & place in baking pan.
- Cover with towel & let rise to double the bulk.
- Brush with egg yolk & sprinkle with poppy seeds
- Bake @ 375 degree oven for 50 min.or until browned.
- MAKES: 1 very large bread, if you wish, divide the dough in 6 parts & make 2 large loaves or 1 loaf & many small roll.
- You may also bake the bread in a loaf pan
- Also makes delicious FRENCH TOAST