Crispy Pork Belly with Caramel VinegarFrom kateyb1 7 years ago
- pork belly shopping list
- 11⁄2 kg (3 lb 5 oz) pork belly shopping list
- 2 tablespoons sea salt shopping list
- extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- Freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- caramel Vinegar shopping list
- 115g (1/2 cup) brown sugar shopping list
- 80ml (1/3 cup) red wine vinegar shopping list
- 2 star anise shopping list
- 1 cinnamon stick shopping list
- 250ml (1 cup) chicken stock shopping list
- juice of one orange and four large strips of orange peel shopping list
- sea salt shopping list
- black pepper shopping list
- Sweet Soy and Lime bok choy shopping list
- bunch of bok choy shopping list
- 125 ml soy sauce shopping list
- 1 1/2 tbs caster sugar shopping list
- 1 1/2 tbs lime juice shopping list
How to make it
- Pork Belly
- Score the skin of the pork belly in a criss-cross pattern with a sharp knife. Rub the sea salt into the pork skin and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F/Gas 7). Wipe the salt off the pork skin with kitchen paper and dry well.
- Drizzle a large roasting tin with olive oil. Put the pork belly in the tin skin side down, drizzle with a little more oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast the pork in the oven for 30 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 190°C (375°F/Gas 5) and roast for another 11/2 hours. Carefully turn the pork over and roast for another 20 minutes, or until the skin is crisp.
- Remove the pork from the oven, cover loosely with foil and set aside to rest for at least 15 minutes. Slice the pork and drizzle with the caramel vinegar. Serve with steamed rice, bok choy with sweet soy and lime, and some freshly chopped red chilli.
- Caramel Vinegar
- Put the sugar, vinegar, star anise and cinnamon in a small saucepan and cook, stirring, over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes, or until syrupy.
- Stir in the chicken stock and simmer for another 5 minutes, or until slightly reduced. Add the orange juice and peel, reduce the heat to low and simmer gently until thick and syrupy. Season to taste.
- Bok Choy With Sweet Soy And Lime
- Put the soy sauce and sugar in a small saucepan over low heat and stir to dissolve the sugar. Simmer until the soy sauce has reduced by half. Remove from heat and stir in the lime juice.
- Blanch or steam the bok choy until it is bright green and tender crisp. Drizzle with the sweet soy and lime and serve immediately.
The Cookkateyb1 Adelaide South Australia, AU
- Not added to any groups yet!