Julia Childs French Onion Soup Grantineed with CheeseFrom shandy 5 years ago
- 1 1/2 lbs (about 5 cups or a little more) thinly sliced yellow onions shopping list
- 3 T. butter... See More shopping list
- 1 T. vegetable oil shopping list
- A heavy-bottomed, 4-quart covered saucepan shopping list
- 1 t. salt shopping list
- 1/4 t. sugar (helps the onions to brown) shopping list
- 3 T. flour shopping list
- 2 quarts boiling brown stock, purchased beef stock, or 1 quart of water and 1 quart of stock shopping list
- 1/2 c. dry white wine or dry white vermouth shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 2 oz. (about 3/4 c.) shredded swiss cheese shopping list
- 1 T. grated raw onion shopping list
- 8 to 10 rounds of hard toasted French bread (toast bread rounds in oven at 225 for 25 min.) shopping list
- For bread Rounds: shopping list
- 1 1/2 c. grated Swiss, or Swiss and parmesan cheese shopping list
- 1 T. olive oil or melted butter shopping list
How to make it
- Cook the onions slowly with the butter and oil in the covered saucepan for 15 minutes.
- Uncover, raise heat to moderate, and stir in the salt and sugar. Cook for 30 to 40 minutes stirring frequently, until the onions have turned an even, deep, golden brown.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir for 3 minutes.
- Off heat, blend in the boiling liquid. Add the wine, and season to taste. Simmer partially covered for 30 to 40 minutes or more, skimming occasionally. Correct seasoning.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Bring the soup to the boil and pour into a tureen or soup pots. Stir in the 3/4 c. shredded Swiss cheese and grated onion. Float the rounds of toast on top of the soup, and spread the grated cheese over it. Sprinkle with the oil or butter.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the oven, then set for a minute or two under a preheated broiler to brown the top lightly. Serve immediately.
The Cookshandy Port Orchard, WA
The Rating9 people
another YUMMMMMMMMMMm2googee in Tomball loved it
I Love the Special Way that
this "5"FORK!!!!! Soup is prepared & of course
All the ingredients are marvelous!
~Photo~FLAGGED!!!!!mjcmcook in Beach City loved it
Wonderful and descriptive post! High 5 to you.valinkenmore in Malott loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!