Deep-Fried Poached Eggs With Creamed Spinach And Serrano HamFrom darbar 8 years ago
- 1 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot shopping list
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 (10-oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups coarse fresh bread crumbs (from firm white bread) shopping list
- 4 poached large eggs shopping list
- 3 oz thinly sliced serrano ham or prosciutto shopping list
- 7 to 8 cups vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten with 0 teaspoon water shopping list
- Special equipment: a deep-fat thermometer shopping list
How to make it
- Whisk together cream and 2 teaspoons flour in a small bowl until just combined.
- Cook shallot in butter in a 9- to 10-inch heavy skillet over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until shallot is softened, about 3 minutes. Add spinach, nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring constantly, until excess liquid is evaporated, about 2 minutes. Stir cream mixture, then add to spinach and cook, stirring occasionally, until cream is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir together bread crumbs, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a shallow bowl. Spread remaining 1/2 cup flour on a plate and set aside for dredging.
- Gently blot any water from top of poached eggs with paper towels, then sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Carefully dredge 1 poached egg in flour, dusting off excess. Transfer to beaten egg, spooning to coat completely, then transfer with a slotted spoon to bread crumbs, letting excess egg drip off. Coat with crumbs and transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining poached eggs, 1 at a time.
- Cut sliced ham crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide strips.
- Heat 1 1/2 inches oil in a 3- to 4-quart heavy saucepan (about 1 1/2 inches deep) over high heat until deep-fat thermometer registers 375°F. Fry ham in oil, stirring occasionally with a clean slotted spoon to separate strips, until crisp, 15 to 20 seconds. Transfer ham to paper towels to drain.
- Return frying oil to 375°F.
- Lower 2 eggs (1 at a time on slotted spoon) into hot oil and fry until golden brown, 15 to 20 seconds. Transfer fried eggs to paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining 2 eggs.
- Reheat spinach over low heat, stirring constantly and adding more cream or water to loosen mixture if necessary, about 1 minute.
- Divide creamed spinach among 4 plates, then top with poached eggs and ham.
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookdarbar Glen Ellyn, IL
The Rating2 people
Saw Jose Andreas do the perfect Spanish fried egg and I've been craving one ever since. This is gilding the lily with the spinach and serrano! Wonderful post.notyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!