Wilted Bibb LettuceFrom dugger 7 years ago
How to make it
- Prepare the lettuce as follows: Cut the bottom binding knot off of the lettuce. Immerse the leaves in cold water and wash out any contamination. Remove the inner white spine of the leaves and tear into small pieces.
- Prep the scallions See Photo. Cut off the tops just below the point where the stalks start to separate. Cut off the bottom root. Peel the outer layer off the onions.
- Fry bacon until crisp in a small skillet. Remove the cooked bacon and drain on paper towel See Photo. Reserve the remaining drippings in the skillet.
- Hard boil the eggs in a small covered saucepan See Photo as follows:. Place the eggs into cold salted water (about 2 teaspoons of salt added to the water). Bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce the heat to a slow rolling boil and cook for about eight minutes. Turn off the heat, place the saucepan under cold running water and bring down to room temperature. Reserve the eggs until later. See Photo
- Chop the Scallions very thin.
- Put the bacon drippings back onto the fire, bring to a simmer. Add 5 tablespoons of vinegar to the mixture and stir together until you have a low boil See Photo. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar and stir constantly until the sugar is melted and assimilated into the mixture. (If you don't stir it will clump up into balls of sugar). Maintain at low heat.
- Peel the eggs and slice them
- Now the best part. Separate the lettuce into the serving bowls, pour on dressing, add crumbled bacon and slice the eggs on top. Serve immediately.
The Cookdugger Crestwood (suburb Of Louisville), US
The Rating5 people
Sounds delicious, and a ^5 to you!windy1950 in Flint loved it
An old family favorite! Thanks for reminding me as I will make this soon! High 5 to you!valinkenmore in Malott loved it
One of the greats in my book. Thanks for the history; nice reminder. Aa 5 from me.tablescape in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!