Flint Style Coney Sauce (Red Sauce)From windy1950 6 years ago
- 1 1/2 lbs ground chuck or round shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, crushed shopping list
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin, or more shopping list
- 1 Tbsp paprika shopping list
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce shopping list
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped shopping list
- salt, to taste shopping list
- black pepper, to taste shopping list
- 1 Tbsp prepared mustard shopping list
- 3/4 cup water shopping list
- 5 hot dogs, ground up (I use cheap hot dogs for this part) shopping list
- potato flakes or crushed saltines, if needed shopping list
- Vienna frankfurters shopping list
- hot dog buns shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Crumble all ingredients, except ground up hot dogs, in a large, non-stick frying pan and simmer until thick. The original recipe was quite clear not to brown ground beef before adding other ingredients, but I had to bend the rules here. I DID brown the meat, and then drained the fat off as best I could before adding the other ingredients.
- 2. Add ground up hot dogs to sauce in frying pan and stir; bring to a bubble on medium low heat and then cook at least 15 minutes or more. If it tastes as though something is missing, add more cumin. If the sauce is too wet, add and stir in potato flakes or crushed saltines until desired consistency is reached. Keep warm.
- 3. Boil, roast, or grill the Viennas, as you wish. Top each frankfurter in a bun with a tablespoon or so of sauce. Serve with other condiments such as chopped fresh onions, hot dog relish, mustard or catsup, etc.
- 4. Refrigerate any leftover sauce in a tightly covered container. May be frozen, if desired.
The Cookwindy1950 Flint, MI
The Rating4 people
Hay Connie: Lookin good. I need to use all beef dogs but the end result should be great. RJelgourmand in Apia loved it
Yummy...This Ones A Keeper and Beef for Me Too...Thankschef_irish in Gainesville loved it
Comfort Foods775 members
Regional Foods7 members
Home Made Sandwiches77 members
Pass Down Recipes314 members
Nostalgic Recipes104 members
Firehouse Flavors29 members
Quick Simple And Tasty52 members
Sandwiches N Hotdogs16 members
Mans Food22 members