Sweet Potato Cakes with Mango-Pineapple ChutneyFrom peetabear 6 years ago
- Chutney: shopping list
- 1 1/3 cups 1/3-inch cubes peeled cored fresh pineapple shopping list
- 1/2 large mango, peeled, cut into 1/3-inch cubes (2/3 cup) shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- 6 tablespoons white wine vinegar shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds shopping list
- 4 whole cloves shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- potato cakes: shopping list
- 1 8-ounce red-skinned sweet potato (yam) shopping list
- 1 8-ounce russet potato shopping list
- 3 tablespoons grated onion shopping list
- 2 large eggs, beaten to blend shopping list
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro plus sprigs for garnish shopping list
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour shopping list
- 2 teaspoons curry powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon sea salt shopping list
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 cup Greek-style yogurt* shopping list
How to make it
- For chutney:
- Combine all ingredients in heavy medium saucepan. Simmer over medium heat 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside.
- For potato cakes:
- Heat oven to 300°F. Peel both potatoes and coarsely grate into medium bowl. Place grated potatoes and onion in clean cloth and squeeze out excess liquid. Place potatoes and onion in large bowl. Add eggs, chopped cilantro, flour, curry powder, and sea salt; mix to incorporate evenly.
- Line baking sheet with paper towel. Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Measure scant 1/4 cupful of mixture, shape into ball, and add to skillet. Using spatula, gently flatten ball to 1/3-inch-thick, 3-inch-diameter pancake. Repeat, forming 3 more pancakes. Fry until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer pancakes to prepared baking sheet; keep warm in oven. Repeat with remaining mixture for total of 8 pancakes.
- Place pancakes on plates. Spoon yogurt, then chutney atop pancakes. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper; garnish with cilantro sprigs.
- * A thick yogurt; sold at some supermarkets and at specialty foods stores (such as Trader Joe's and Whole Foods markets) and Greek markets. If unavailable, place regular yogurt in cheesecloth-lined strainer set over large bowl. Cover; chill overnight to drain.
People Who Like This Dish 5
The Cookpeetabear Mid-hudson Valley, NY
The Rating6 people
great recipe i gotta try it,princessthunder in Greer loved it
It looks and sounds delicious... hi 5tinadc in Cape Town loved it
Another great recipe Peeta! Thanks and will be trying this really soon.valinkenmore in Malott loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!