Chocolate-orange Blossom CakeFrom thepoint 7 years ago
- Cake: shopping list
- 1 box (18.25 ounces) devil’s food cake mix shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk shopping list
- 1/2 cup oil shopping list
- 3 large eggs shopping list
- 3 tablespoons orange liqueur or 1 Tbsp orange extract shopping list
- 1 cup mini–semisweet chocolate chips shopping list
- ... shopping list
- Frosting: shopping list
- 1 pound butter, softened shopping list
- 16 ounces marshmallow cream (such as Marshmallow Fluff or Crème) shopping list
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar shopping list
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract shopping list
- 1/4 cup grated orange zest (from 3 to 4 oranges) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons orange juice shopping list
- Garnish: orange slices shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oven to 350°F. You’ll need two 9 x 2-inch round cake pans coated with nonstick spray.
- Beat cake mix, buttermilk, oil, eggs and liqueur in a large bowl with mixer on low speed 30 seconds or until blended. Scrape down sides of bowl; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 28 to 32 minutes until a wooden pick inserted in centers of cakes comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes, invert on rack, turn right side up and cool completely.
- Beat butter in a large bowl with mixer on medium speed until creamy. Beat in marshmallow cream. When well blended, beat in confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, orange zest and juice. Increase speed to high and beat 3 to 4 minutes until fluffy (makes 5 cups).
- Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with 1 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread top and sides with remaining frosting. Decorate with cut orange slices just before serving.
- Planning Tip:
- Wrapped cake layers can be refrigerated up to 1 week. Cake can be completed up to 2 days ahead. Garnish just before serving.
- Note: Doris made this on October 28, 2008, for our Daughter's birthday.
The Cookthepoint Hagerstown, MD
The Rating4 people
what a pretty cake! marshmallow fluff frosting? you already had me at the chocolate orange! i guess it's icing on the cake....wah wah..ba dum bum.yum, bookmark and 5 to you thepoint!andiecooks in home loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!