Baked Chinese New Year Cake Recipe regular and gluten freeFrom peetabear 6 years ago
- • 2 tablespoons shredded, sweetened coconut shopping list
- • 4 large eggs shopping list
- • 1 pound sweet rice flour (about 3 cups) shopping list
- • 3 cups whole milk shopping list
- • 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar shopping list
- • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for coating the baking dish shopping list
- • 1 teaspoon coconut extract shopping list
- • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Coat a 13-by-9-inch baking dish with butter; set aside.
- Place coconut in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake until toasted and golden brown in color, about 5 minutes; set aside.
- Place eggs in a large bowl and lightly beat to break up yolks. Add remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth, about 2 minutes. Pour mixture into the prepared dish and bake for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with toasted coconut, rotate the dish, and bake until the edges are just starting to brown and the top is just set (a bubble may form, but it will flatten as the cake cools), about 20 to 25 minutes more.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 30 minutes before serving. Wrap leftovers tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate.