Chorizo and lentil soupFrom nuggle 9 years ago
- 3/4 cup small French green lentils shopping list
- 2 cups veal or chicken stock shopping list
- 3-5 sprigs fresh thyme shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed shopping list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for serving shopping list
- 2 fresh chorizo sausages, casings removed shopping list
- 1 cup medium diced celery (4 ribs or so) shopping list
- 1 cup medium diced carrots (2 large) shopping list
- 2 cups medium diced yellow onion (2 medium) shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste shopping list
- 1 19-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leafed parsley shopping list
- 4-5 large basil leaves, cut into strips (chiffonade) shopping list
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese, to serve shopping list
How to make it
- Pick over the lentils and discard any misshapen ones or stones. Rinse and drain the lentils through several courses of water until free of any grit or sand.
- In a saucepan over high heat, combine the lentils, stock, 3 cups of water, thyme and garlic. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until the lentils are just tender, about 15-20 minutes. You will need to skim the surface occasionally for impurities.
- Meanwhile, in a stockpot over medium heat, crumble in the chorizo into one tablespoon or so of olive oil. Cook until the sausage begins to render some of its fat. Add the celery, carrot and onion, tossing to coat in the paprika-stained oil. Season well with salt and pepper, and continue to cook, stirring often. When the vegetables are translucent and tender, after about 10 minutes, add the tomato paste and stir through. Cook for 2 minutes or until the tomato paste begins to darken.
- Remove the garlic and thyme from the lentils. Add the lentils and their cooking liquid to the stockpot. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, and additional water if necessary, and simmer for another 10 minutes. Check for seasoning.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle over the chopped herbs. Serve with olive oil for drizzling and grated Parmesan and passed alongside.